Academic Integrity and Plagiarism
This page is designed to help you understand information ethics, which includes academic integrity, plagiarism, and related issues.
Topics to be covered include:
- Intellectual Property and Fair Use
- Examples and Cases of Plagiarism
- Academic Misconduct
- Consequences of Plagiarism and Academic Misconduct
Plagiarism and academic dishonesty can take different forms. Here are a few examples:
- Buying a term paper from a paper mill or research service.
- Copying, in whole or in part, from a free term paper site or other web site.
- Copying from a fellow student, with or without his/her knowledge.
- Having a fellow student write a paper for you.
- Copying information from a source without acknowledgement.
- Copying exactly from a text, citing that text but neglecting to put it in quotation marks.
- Paraphrasing without documenting a source.
- Using information generated by a tutoring service for exercises or exams.